How I Destress My Life

Photo by David Mao on Unsplash

When researching ways to reduce stress, I found a white sheet of paper with a circle on it that says, “Bang Head Here” and all I can say to that is, mood. To be completely honest, I’ve been lacking inspiration lately. I think it's the constant go-go-go of the last month of school that I haven't had time to just take a second to breathe. It's been extremely stressful lately writing papers, preparing presentations (which are always and will always be the death of me), and prepping for finals that are just around the corner. When life gets too hectic for me, all I want to do is sit in my room and hibernate under the covers. But…we can't always do that. And I know I'm not the only one who gets this way so I felt for this Monday, during the calm before the storm, I would share some of my de-stressors that might spark some Monday motivation in you and will hopefully get us all through the rest of this semester, or at least through the rest of April.

1. LISTENING TO YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC

I love to make playlists that can exactly describe my mood and what I'm feeling in that exact moment. I have this huge list of playlists on my phone that range from country to pop to rock to anything that can match a potential mood I may have. If I have a huge to-do list in the notes section of my phone and I'm walking to class, I like to play my Spotify playlist that has all my favorite upbeat, positive, makes you smile music. It kinda tricks me into being a lot less stressed than I actually am. 

2. WEARING YOUR FAVORITE OUTFIT

I have this one gray sweater that I am IN LOVE with. It's nothing special, just a cheap, plain, oversized sweater that, if you know me, you've seen me wear about a million times. But, it's my absolute favorite. Whenever I am having a busy day I'm not looking forward to or a presentation I don't want to do, I wear my gray sweater because it's comfy, cute and it makes me happy! If not a favorite sweater, then a favorite t-shirt or lipstick. Just anything that makes you feel good.

3. DO SOMETHING YOU ENJOY 

For me, it's blogging. For you, it may be reading, singing in the shower, or online shopping but, anything that can make you smile or laugh and get your mind off of your mile-long to-do list for a short period of time. I’m not saying to procrastinate, even though I’m the poster child for procrastinating, but, just do something you enjoy for 20 to 30 minutes. It may lift your mood a little bit before you get back to your list.

4. GET UP EARLY

I know I have said this a million times but, it helps! It gives you more time in the day, can give you some quiet time, and can set the tone for the rest of your morning. If I wake up late, throw on whatever I can find on my floor, and run out the door with my backpack unzipped and my shoes falling off, I'm setting the tone for the rest of my day. Now, let's start over. Say I wake up on time, have time to shower, brush my teeth, pack my backpack, and walk out the door with plenty of time to spare. That influences my mood, my productivity and how the rest of my day is going to go. TRY IT, PEOPLE. IT WORKS. I PROMISE. 30 MINUTES EARLIER IS ALL IM ASKING.

De-stressing can be extremely important, especially when you're transitioning into something new (aka freshman year of college) or when big deadlines are approaching but, please refrain from pulling the hair out of your head and try these few things beforehand.  And if these don’t work, still please still refrain from pulling your hair out of your head. It’s not the end of the world if you fail a test, miss a deadline or bomb a presentation. Just keep going and if all else fails, cheesy Pinterest quotes will always be there to cheer you up. Hope this helps you spring into the week ahead and I'll talk to you all next week!

XOXO


Olivia Shea


Comments