A Georgia Peach Takes a Bite of The Big Apple



I may have been born and raised a southern peach but, as cliche as it may sound, New York City will always have my heart. Not that I’ve ever lived there or anything but, Gossip Girl and almost every romantic comedy known to man has shown me enough that I’ve found a love for the big apple. Plus, my once a year trip where I visit family outside the city and somehow always convince them to take me into it has also contributed to my love for that kind of lifestyle. I’ve done all the touristy things like spending way too much money on an “I love NY” t-shirt to taking a ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. I’ve taken awkward selfies in Times Square and asked people walking past for directions to the subway. I’ve been heckled by people on the street and have been honked at by angry yellow cars. But even after doing all those sorts of things, every year we still find something to do there that you can’t quite do back in Georgia.

DAY ONE: THE WEDDING

This year my mom and I flew up for a family wedding we had this summer. I personally have been counting down the days until this trip because this event has venues including St Regis, The New York Public Library, and St Patrick's Cathedral. These are places where Alec Baldwin was married and Emma Stone has stayed. These are places where Sex and the City was filmed and Angelina Jolie have visited. 

We started at the cathedral in our black tie attire. I wore a red Vince Camuto Ruffled Off-The-Shoulder gown and paired that with other small accents of silver. For example, my Jessica McClintock clutch and bracelet. To compliment my red dress, I slapped on my Clinique Chubby Stick Lip Color Balm in chunky cherry. It somehow survived through the mayhem of cocktail hour, an appetizer, main course, and the millions of hand-passed mini desserts I hunted down waiters and waitresses for so, if you haven’t already, make sure to try it out.

After spending the afternoon in the cathedral, we proceeded to The New York Public Library for cocktail hour where there were talented violinists and women with flowers for hats. Almost how I envision the inside of The Met Gala to look like. There was finger food ranging from truffle tater tots to seared steak (which isn’t quite finger food, unless you want it to be, but, in the middle of The New York Public Library, I’d recommend a fork). Following that was the reception where we had no problem celebrating the beautiful bride and groom. 

DAY TWO: BRUNCH AND A SHOW

Usually, I can only drag my family around NYC for about 6-7 hours before they all start getting tired of the large crowds and my fast pace walking speed but, this time we spent the night in the city. After a full night's sleep, maybe four hours or so, we were back up at 8 AM for a classy brunch at St Regis where we were joined by other guests of the wedding. I threw on a floral sundress and a pair of baby pink heels while we enjoyed our food and were able to watch the Puerto Rican day parade through the window.


Once I finished the 6 servings of french toast that I “treated” myself with, we were off again. I switched into some sneakers (because 4-inch heels are not my ideal shoe for trucking around New York) and headed straight for the theater on 51st street where we saw the show Jersey Boys. Being that my mom is from Jersey, it felt necessary that that was the one we needed to see. The show was INCREDIBLE! We got our tickets last minute at the TKTS booth in Times Square so, we were lucky enough to get seats as close as we did. 

After leaving the theater, it started to get rainy and too cold for us southerners. So, we ran to the nearest gift shop, which wasn’t very far since there’s one on about every corner, and bought two of the most touristy sweatshirts we could find. Let me just say, we would’ve looked ridiculous walking around in sweatshirts over our dresses anywhere else but in New York, that’s probably one of the most normal things you’ll see. 



Overall, we enjoyed seeing all of our extended family, some people watching, salty street food, and then called it a night/trip. The food, the fashion, and the city always keep me inspired so watch out NYC because I’ll be back for another pretzel! And maybe one day, I’ll stay for good. Keep scrolling for more pics of my amazing trip and talk to you all soon. Mauh!

XOXO,

Olivia Shea



















Comments